Thursday, February 16, 2012

Alphabet Train & "I Spy" Bottles

ALPHABET TRAIN

This was Day 2 of being stuck at home this weekend because of the bitter cold outside. I can't take credit for this activity, it was all my husband, but I thought it was such a good idea that I figured I'd share :) It's based on Blue's Clues "Alphabet Train" and it's really simple. Write one letter of the alphabet on each piece of paper and stick them in order on the floor with some tape making a "train" around the house. Then have the kids find one object in the house that starts with that letter and place it on top of the appropriate piece of paper.

Our kids (4 and 2) got a bit tired because they had to keep singing the alphabet song to figure out which letter came first. So we split the activity into morning and afternoon, it ended up being a fun whole day event. For older kids, you could time how long it takes them to gather/ place all the objects and see if they can improve their own record (finding completely new objects the second time around).

Img_6914Img_6921Img_6922

 

"I SPY" BOTTLES

These are based on the popular "Find It Games" tubes. I got the idea from the Toys in The Dryer blog, follow the link for the tutorial. Since my kids can't read yet, we took a picture of all the objects before putting them in and used that as the "find it card". One mistake I made is not putting more rice in, the objects were pretty easy to find. I think next time I might also try using food coloring on the rice (maybe several colors) to make the bottle more colorful and the game more challenging. Check out the photos for some ideas on things to put in.

PhotoImg_6947Img_6936Img_6941Img_6945

No comments:

Post a Comment