Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Express Mushroom Risotto

I am not a crock pot, slow cooker type of person, I don't have the time nor the patience for dishes that take a long time to cook. That's why I love my Fagor pressure cooker. We got it as a wedding gift from my husband's grandmother and have been so pleased with everything I have made with it. As an added plus, it's Made in Spain, so I like that I'm contributing to my native country's current dismal economy.
Here's my favorite dish so far:

EXPRESS MUSHROOM RISOTTO 

(Delicious, mushroom and parmesan risotto ready in 10 minutes!)


Img_6636


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of Arborio rice
  • 4 1/2 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
  • Some extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 TBS of Chopped garlic
  • 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper
How to:
  1. In a pan, drizzle some olive oil and sautee 1 TBS of chopped garlic until golden.Then add the mushrooms and let them cook at medium heat.
  2. While the mushrooms are cooking, drizzle some more olive oil into the pressure cooker and add the other 1 TBS of chopped garlic. (Optional: You can also add some chopped onion here, I'm not a huge onion fan...)
  3. Once the garlic is golden, add the rice and toss around a bit until translucent brown. Then pour the chicken broth into the cooker, stir well, close the lid and turn up the heat.
  4. Once the pressure builds up, turn down the heat and set the timer for 7 minutes.
  5. When the mushrooms are cooked (it should only take a few minutes) remove this pan from the heat.
  6. When the 7 minutes are up on the timer, release the pressure of the cooker, open the lid and add the mushrooms, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Stir, serve and decorate with parmesan shavings and toasted tortillas.
Optional: Add a TBS of butter with the mushrooms to the risotto at the end to make it creamier. Some white wine can also be added along with the chicken broth, to bring out the flavors of the mushrooms and parmesan. Mushrooms can be swaped for peas, aspargus, artichoke or anything else you like. If the vegetables are frozen (or take longer to cook like the aspargus), you can add them to the rice at the beginning, before closing the pressure cooker. You can probably do the same with the mushrooms, I've never tried it this way, I feel like they would get too mushy, I don't know.



No comments:

Post a Comment